How can non-medical home care agencies enable effective care transitions after hospitalizations?
- 19% of Medicare patients are readmitted within 30 days of discharge from hospital.*
- 20% of patients experience post discharge adverse events.*
- 75% of elderly rehospitalizations (which equates to 4.4 million people a year) may be preventable.*
- Readmission often results from incomplete communication across a fragmented healthcare system.
“Patients who have a clear understanding of their after-hospital care instructions, including how to take their medicines and when to make follow up appointments with their doctors, are 30% less likely to be readmitted or visit the ER than patients who lack this information.“
– Dr. Brian Jack, Annals of Internal Medicine 2-3-2009
The Essentials For A Safe Transition Post Discharge
An effective non-medical home care agency promotessafe transitions for patients post discharge by providing the following:
Nurse Assessment for non-medical, hourly personal care services. AA Care Services provides thisfree assessment including a review of hospital discharge orders, medication review, diet, mobility, and support systems.
Medication Self-Management Plan. Our Nurse reviews the hospital/rehab/nursing home discharge medication records and, if any discrepancies, notifies the patient’s physician.
“Teach Back” of discharge orders. One of our tools that has greatly benefited our patients and it is easy to understand why since:
- Studies have shown that 40-80% of the medical information patients receive is forgotten immediately.
- Nearly half the information is incorrect.
- Teach back allows you to explain post discharge orders in the home setting where patient is less stressed.
- Patient/family understanding is confirmed when they explain it back to you in their own words.
Ongoing compliance with discharge orders. Each member of the AA Care Services team supports ongoing patient compliance with their discharge orders and encourages family engagement throughout the transition.
Follow-Up Appointments. We ensure that each patient understands follow-up appointment times with their primary care physician and specialists. In addition, we record appointments and even transport/escort patients to their physician appointments.
Would These Services Be Beneficial To Someone Important In Your Life?
Call or click here today to request a free nurse assessment to promote the successful care transition of your post discharge patient.
San Antonio at (210) 236-5582 | New Braunfels/Austin at (830) 609-9128
* eCaring.com – Posted July 8, 2013 by Melody Wilding
Helen Trowsdale, President of AA Care Services, is a nurse administrator with over 30 years of experience as a BSN, psychiatric nurse, and geriatric care manager with adults as well as pediatrics in hospitals, private duty home health care agencies, and residential home health care. Her team of caregivers are dedicated to serving their clients with home care in San Antonio, New Braunfels, and Austin; providing clients with consistent, quality care while minimizing the number of caregivers in the home. Learn more about AA Care Services.